I first tried Naturally Ella’s sweet potato and chickpea stew last spring and remade it the other week for my parents, who ended up loving it. The spices turn everyday ingredients – sweet potatoes, garbanzos, tomatoes and kale – into something much more exotic. It’s also one of those great recipes where the leftovers taste even better the next day, making it perfect to pack for lunch.
Moroccan Spiced Sweet Potatoes and Chickpeas
Adapted from Naturally Ella
Serve with quinoa or brown rice and top with yogurt.
Time: 45 minutes (15 minutes prep, 30 minutes cook)
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 16 oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable broth (I used bouillon and water)
- 1 bunch kale, roughly chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute until it begins to turn soft and translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and spices. Saute for 1-2 more minutes, stirring so the spices don’t burn.
- Add sweet potatoes, tomatoes, garbanzos, and broth. Cook for about 20 minutes until potatoes are cooked through.
- Add kale and cook for 3-4 more minutes.